socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

A few months ago an owner of the townhouse I am renting started

Customer Question

A few months ago an owner of the townhouse I am renting started short sale process. I was offered to sign out a non-owner occupant certification stating "you are the occupant of the property that is being sold or transferred in condition with the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Home Affordable Foreclosure Alternative (HAFA) Program. Because you will be required to vacate the property as a condition of the sale or transfer, you may be eligible to receive $10,000 in relocation assistance". Recently I has been notified that the closing is scheduled about one week before my contract expired. Also a buyer agreed that I would stay in property signing a new contract on annual base with $200 higher monthly payment, which is unacceptable for me. Is there some possibility for me to get relocation assistance in this situation? Thank you, Vyacheslav
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 months ago.
Hello, The requirements for relocation assistance are found in this guide from HUD. The basic rule is that you are entitled to the difference between the cost of a new rental of substantially similar size minus 70% of the rental cost (plus utilities) of your current rental. By signing the forms, HUD should contact you concerning your relocation rights. If you are not contacted, DO NOT MOVE OUT OF THE PROPERTY! Contact your local HUD office and let them know that the property owner is trying to force you to move out without relocation assistance. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using Justanswer!
Hello again,I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using Justanswer!