Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

I lease a parking spot in Boston, MA and I would like to break

Customer Question

I lease a parking spot in Boston, MA and I would like to break the lease. I contacted the property company from which I lease the spot from and they said they do not prorate nor will they give me my last month's rent back (I am technically on the lease until 3/31/16.) The issue I have this is is that the "lease" I signed does not state any of this information. Is the information I obtained from the property manger accurate? Is there anyway for my to fight him on this due to lack on information conveyed to me upon signing (i.e. repercussions of breaking the lease?)
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Edit: On the lease until 08/31/16.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 7 months ago.
Is there anyway for my to fight him on this due to lack on information conveyed to me upon signing (i.e. repercussions of breaking the lease?)Yes there is. The lease form should state what the penalties will be for breaching the lease. Most leases provide that upon breach you may be sued for the balance of the months left on the lease, plus attorney fees and whatever. Without that you may be able to breach the lease without being held responsible for the balance. Please keep in mind that this is general information and may not reflect the lease that you signed. Also, the owner must try to re lease the space to mitigate his damages. . I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5, for which there is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.
Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? I am not an employee of Just Answer and I receive credit for assisting you based on your rating. I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5, for which there is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.