Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

My application permit to put a non commercial, not habitable

Customer Question

My application for a permit to put a non commercial, not habitable shed in my backyard to store books was denied by Contra Costa County CA saying the foundations must be continuous concreta under the walls. Many shed companies build large sheds like mine with the same 4x4/cement block foundations as mine. Obviously they can stay in business only if those sheds are permitted by most counties, as the shed companies say they are. Hence either some counties have special ordinces allowing such foundations or CC County must have ordinances disallowing them. (How can i find out if either of these assumptions is the case?). I am concerned not to have to pay the perhaps $12-20,000 to pour cement foundations for a temporary shed that has sat here for 15 years in perfect condition and logically does not need the same foundations as a house if the decesion to require such expenditure is inconsistent with state wide practice or is arbitrary. If most jurisdictions allow, and CC County does not disallow, would I have grounds to appeal the engineers decision as arbitrary?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I scoured the Contra Costa ordinances and CA building codes and cannot find anything about having a temporary storage shed requiring any continuous concrete flooring. If it is a temporary structure, like storage shed there is nothing in any ordinance that supports what the engineer is stating. So, you need to first get something in writing from the company doing your shed that the block flooring is acceptable and industry standard, then you go to the building commission and file a written appeal on that basis, since there is nothing in the ordinances and no industry basis for the engineer's decision, the commission should overturn it.