Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I am looking to rent my condo in North Miami Beach FL on May

Customer Question

I am looking to rent my condo in North Miami Beach FL on May 1st.
I requested the condo's rules and regulations to send to my future renters so they can read ahead of time. This was provided 3 weeks ago from the Condo Board. They were the standard rules and regs other renters have had. Our condo allows pets- no weight size limitations. When the renters completed the documents- they mentioned they have a 48#/68# ***** I received a call from one of the condo board members. Her small dog was mauled about 2 months ago by someone in the buildings pit bull. Pit bulls are not allowed in Miami-Dade county. Board member took it upon herself to google terriers- with the weights stated. She called to tell me the renters must have pit bull inside them or some other forbidden breed. They couldn't approve the renters application. (requires a $100 fee with the purpose of doing a back ground check.) They have yet to provide a in person interview date, sent a letter now requiring the renters to get their 2 dogs DNA tested- for genetics with blood tests. I informed them the condo docs- for rules and regulations does not require DNA testing of animals. She informed me the board was talking about it, but confirmed they had not changed the paperwork yet. She also informed me they can just make changes- without notifying condo owners. So as it stands, I have renters moving across the country- CA to FL with the intent to do the in person interview (where they ask- have you read the condo rules and regs) and they have been informed until they have DNA testing done on the dogs- they can not be granted an interview or move in. Do I have any legal legs to stand on here? Also- if they require it, do they have to pay for it?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.
If I understand correctly, there is nothing in the condo Bylaws that restricts breeds or weight limits, correct?.And no updated rule or amendment passed by the Board that would put such a restriction in place, correct?..thanksBarrister