Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years

Purchased a commercial building ,closed 3 weeks ago ,have signed

Customer Question

Purchased a commercial building ,closed 3 weeks ago ,have signed paper stating I would receive possion and keys on stated date. It's been over 2 weeks past date .people still dragging feet to get out,they have no lease in effect. I need to get in building for my own business adapt ,how can I get them out quickly
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Are you saying that the former owners are still there or that there are tenants in the building?..thanksBarrister
If they have failed to vacate when agreed, then they are in breach of the contract and you can give them a written 3 day notice to vacate and then immediately file a formal eviction action in court to get a judgment and a writ of possession the sheriff will execute to physically remove them. This will take about 3 weeks depending on the court's and sheriff's schedules..You can then sue them for breach of contract in small claims court for any expenses or damages that you have incurred due to their breach...thanksBarrister