RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

In October 2015 I sold some land to a friend. I put the friend

Customer Question

in October 2015 I sold some land to a friend. I put the friend in touch with my real estate agent. We are now near closing on our house and some acres with the same agent, different buyer. We have a third parcel which the first buyer is interested in. It is not
listed with any agent. Am I obligated to pay a commission to the real estate agent who handled the other two sales.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 7 months ago.
Good morning. No, you would only be responsible pay a commission on the specifically agreed upon land/property. If this property is unrelated to the scope of the agreement with the first buyer and now they want it then you should not have to pay them. If anything you may want to consider waiting until after closing if possible. However, if this parcel was never advertised or anything like that and they just inquired and now want it the realtor would have a hard argument to make that they are entitled to a commission on it
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!