Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I live in Harnett county N.c. I inherited land from my father

Customer Question

I live in Harnett county N.c. I inherited land from my father and has been paying taxes on it for 25 Years. i found out last month that someone else has claim title to half of my land. The deed dated 1954 was not title search, but yet this person was given a deed and has built a 2 houses on it. What legal right do I have
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that: (A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; (B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and (C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours. Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay thank you
Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.
As to your first question, you may have to call around and see if anyone does it cheaper for title searches. See this link. More to come...
Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.
i found out last month that someone else has claim title to half of my land. 1. How did you find this out? The deed dated 1954 was not title search, but yet this person was given a deed and has built a 2 houses on it. 2. Who did the title search at the time your father transferred the property to you? Are you saying that this other person was deeded the land in 1954? 3. If they built two homes on it, then why are you just know finding out about their ownership? 4. Under what circumstances were they deeded part of your father's land?