WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

I would like to file a quiet title in lincoln county new mexico JA:

Customer Question

I would like to file a quiet title in lincoln county new mexico
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: the property (land) is in my aunt's name. before she passed away in 2002 she asked me to help her sale the property. during this time I paid, the association fees, the taxes, brush clearance etc. up until 2015. When I called to pay the taxes today I was informed that a cousin had transferred the title to his name. The county clerk says that I should file a lien and I was also told to file a quiet title.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Real Estate Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: I just want to know legally what my options are....
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 7 months ago.
The quiet title action will cause the court to conduct an evidentiary hearing as to who has the right to be on title for the property. They will look to the will of your aunt for that determination, and if she had no will, they will look to the rules of intestate succession as they are in effect in New Mexico. You should also file the lien on the property, so that you have a right to get a return of the amount that you funded into the property. I suggest finding a real estate lawyer in Lincoln County, NM who can help you to do this. Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.
Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.