Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

Can a home owners association in Boynton Beach, FL ask for

Customer Question

Can a home owners association in Boynton Beach, FL ask for our social security numbers to conduct a background check and also ask for a hold harmless.
Thanks,
Joe Restaino
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, there is no law in FL or under federal law that prevents the HOA from asking for SSN and also the law does not prevent them from asking for a hold harmless for liability. This is particularly common when they use third party companies, since the HOA is relying on a third party agency to review your record. So, in answer to your inquiry, it is not unlawful for the HOA to do this in FL or under US law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Although not happy with the answer, I will move on & find another house to purchase.
Thank you for your reply.
I am sorry. If you dislike the control and power these HOA and Condo Associations have over telling you what you can do with your property or these checks, I would suggest to you that you look for homes that do not have any HOA, because every HOA has some issue with them and their rules and they exercise a ton of power and control over your property and the rights to do with your property as you see fit.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.