Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.

Lived at landlords rental property total of four years

Customer Question

Lived at landlords rental property for a total of four years +3 1/2 of those years were at this address other year or so was down the street . I had a lease with them at the first address . They sold the that property and asked if I wanted to move in this address so I moved 16 months ago they hired a property management company this said company that I have no lease with or agreement holes checks together late fees so every month that I paythey tax me. The landlord and I have an agreement to where I pay rent by the 10th of each month this is an oral agreement the said property management company therefore is not honoring that agreement and therefore have added additional charges to them off to fit their said goals what rights do I have. I don't want to move but I don't want to come home one day and have my door locked or something like that where do I stand as far as a tenant
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. When you first moved into the current address 16 months ago, did you have a written lease, or was it all verbal from the beginning?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've been here 3 yr , there was only the verbal then. I lived in their( w a lease) other building before they sold It and moved here
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. Therefore, someone in your situation is a month to month tenant. There is no lease. The management company is claiming (or rather will likely claim) that the old landlord was simply accepting late rent checks without fees, but they will not (on behalf of the new landlord). Even if they cannot claim this, they can change the tenancy with a 30 days notice. Again, remember that you are a month to month tenant. Ergo, someone in your situation would likely be presumed to have been late before, and that this would not be tolerated. In addition they can end the lease with 30 days notice. So they cannot lock you out, but can terminate it at their discretion. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.