Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years

Can break a lease when tenant bother and bother same

Customer Question

can break a lease when tenant bother and bother for the same problem I already toll them I will address the problem in a few days and the problem is not a big deal
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Are you the landlord?.What is the problem the tenant is complaining about?.Does it make the property uninhabitable?.Is the tenant threatening to terminate the lease due to the problem?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes o the landlord
Dishwasher backing up some water wish to do some minor plumbing will I said I will do in few days.
Property is on perfectcondition.
A have never have tenant that bother somuch I have owned this property for almost 20 years I always keep up the property
Ok, then no, that wouldn't give them the legal right to terminate the lease. It has to be a problem that makes the property unlivable that would give them the right to the sewer backing up or the heat or water not working..This is a minor problem and not something that is an emergency and it sounds like you just need to snake out the drain line...So no, they can't terminate based on the dishwasher backing up for a few days..As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years.....thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is not he tenant that want to break the lease is me the landlord?
Ok, sorry for my confusion.. If the tenant is under a written fixed term lease then you can't terminate it unless they are in breach of the contract in some way. Complaining about the dishwasher wouldn't be a breach..But if they are a month to month tenant, you can terminate their lease with a written 30 day notice...thanksBarrister