Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.

My tenant died in the hospital yesterday 4/15/2016. Our tenant

Customer Question

My tenant died in the hospital yesterday 4/15/2016. Our tenant asked us to change the locks feering his ex would gain entry a few moths prior to his hospitalization. Ex wife asked us for permission to stay at the property and asked for car keys etc. We told her without current tenants consent she could not. We went to the property to secure it for his heirs or whoeve becomes executor or has POA and his ex wife was there and apparently had been for a few days. We asked her to leave reminding her that she is not on the lease (month to month at this point). We are concerned she will try and lay claim to the rental and are not sure what to do (storage) with his belongings. He is paid until the end of the month and is on a month to month lease. Thx Washington State rental
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. First, let her know she can leave immediately or you will call the police and have her arrested for trespassing. She has no legal right to be there and no right to stay. Until someone presents you with documentation evidencing their legal authority to act on behalf of the estate, no one is allowed to access the property or act on behalf of the tenant's estate. Until that time, you can lock up the premises and have anyone entering the property arrested. Once the end of the month comes and no further rent is paid, you can terminate the tenancy and have his belongings put in storage. You will be entitled to reimbursement of your storage costs from the tenant's estate. Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!