RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I live in charlotte nc, I had granite counter tops installed

Customer Question

I live in charlotte nc, I had granite counter tops installed in my home, the job was extremely poorly done and the owner of the company is refusing to fix my issues. I have a contract stating they warranty the workmanship. I paid the company in full. However, he still refuses to fix my counters. I have before and after pictures, a text message from him stating he would fix my issues. He still won't comply. What can I do about this legally?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. Since the owner will not listen to reason and will not stand behind their work, you are on a course headed towards litigation. The first thing I would do is get a written estimate from another company of the cost to repair or replace the work. Then, you may be able to avoid actually suing the company by having a lawyer write a demand letter to the company telling them to honor their warranty and make the necessary repairs/replacement or in the alternative, pay the cost (as included in the estimate) so that you may have the work taken care of by someone else, and giving them a deadline to comply or face a lawsuit. If you don't want to do a demand letter (you don't think it would be effective, for example) you could sue the company for breach of warranty, your damages being what your cost to repair or replace the countertops would be. Depending on how much that is, you may be able to bring the case in small claims court, which hears actions up to $10,000 in most counties (this can vary by local rule, some county small claims courts hear cases only up to $5,000). Small claims matters usually have smaller filing fees, are presided over by a magistrate, and there is no jury. If you need clarification or additional information, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist you further. Thank you.
If you need clarification or additional information regarding this question, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist you further. Otherwise, please remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars/happy faces) as that is the only way experts on this site such as myself are paid for our time and expertise, even if you have left a deposit. Thank you.