Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

I have a tax deed in Shelby county. I want to

Customer Question

I have a tax deed for property in Shelby county. I want to know the process, when can I get a clear title, how much will it cost. I have held the property for 6 years and am getting ready to sell.
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else I can tell the Real Estate Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: The previous owners are off the grid. Both have been in and out of jail for 7 years and I have no way of reaching them to sign a quiet title.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have obtained a tax deed in Shelby County, there is a 1 year right of redemption in TN, which means that you cannot obtain clear deed to the title until 1 year from date of the sale has passed. At any time during that 1 year time, the owner can redeem the property by paying you what you paid at the tax sale for the deed and 10% interest on the amount. If they fail to redeem by 1 year, then you can file your deed in your name with the recorder of deeds, since the other owner can no longer redeem.
If no redemption has been made on the tax deed, you must request the Chancery Court Clerk and Master's Deed to the property by calling the Chancery Court Clerk's Office at(###) ###-#### ***** order to transfer title of the property to the new owner, you must record the deed in the office of the Shelby County Register located at 1075 Mullins Station, Suite W165, Memphis, TN 38134.