Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

I own a four plex apartment building, we have a parking area

Customer Question

I own a four plex apartment building, we have a parking area on either side one area for apartment 1 and 3 , the other side for apartments 2 and 4 . These area are big enough for two cars for apartments. On one side directly behind our parking area , there is a little house , looks as if maybe a little mother in law house. It is built behind a larger house that is behind our apartment. Both the house and rental house are rentals . There is a single driveway , but obviously only the tenants is the larger house use it.
Our problem is , the smaller house tenant said his property manager told him our parking area belongs to his house. We told him it was our property and he wasn't to park there, we also called the property manager that ask us to give them a month to figure out how to build parking on the little house's property.
This problem is amplified by the fact that they have two cars , one is a junker and doesn't even run. We told them the junker has to go now ; however, it is still there three weeks later. We are fixing up an empty apartment, when we pull into or parking there in no room because they take up the entire parking lot. This tenant came flying out of the house and literally cussed us out for blocking his girlfriend car!!!!! He is very aggressive !!!!!
We have two medical student going into the apartment. This will make there be four cars that belong to our tenants . This is all the parking lot will hold; however , with their junker and car that makes six cars ,. This is very embarrassing , I don't know how to tell the new tenants we are working on getting the extra cars moved. I am afraid the new tenants will back out of leasing dues to no parking and a smart ass that no tenants wants or should be ask to put up with.
How can I deal with this problem ?i keep nice tenants , I will not be able to continue to with this going on. We are in Alabama, is there a solution to this problem ?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question..Have you confirmed that the area where the person is parking is indeed your land with a survey?.If so, have you sent the tenant or the landlord any type of written notice that they are trespassing and they need to remove the vehicles or you will take legal action?..thanks.Barrister
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If this is all I get for $47.00 you need to refund my money. Of course I own the property and of course I ask the property manager of the property and their tenant .
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is the property manager of the little house.
I haven't provided you with an answer yet... That is why I am asking the questions to see what you have done as of right now so I can figure out what your legal position needs to be...And I didn't ask if you owned the property. I asked if you have confirmed the property boundary via a survey....And I also didn't ask if you have asked the property manager of the house or the tenant anything... I asked if you have sent them any type of written notice stating that they are trespassing and need to remove the vehicles. In the law, everything has to be in writing for documentation purposes...If you can provide me with the information I requested, then I can help get you an answer to your problem....thanksBarrister