Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

I'm in Los Angeles County CA. I was selling my house with an

Customer Question

I'm in Los Angeles County CA. I was selling my house with an agent and in escrow. Buyer did not perform and I gave them two extensions to close escrow. they still did not have the funds to close so I cancelled the escrow. I want to move on and accept another offer and open escrow again. The problem is that the previous buyer/agent does not want to accept the cancellation and I am returning all of their deposit knowing that I have the right to keep.
Am i able to open escrow with a second buyer without the contingency of canceling the first?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry to hear this. I think you need to provide formal cancellation and to be safe provide their deposit back so that they really have no basis to claim damages.