WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

I have a neighbor who lives behind me and two other

Customer Question

i have a neighbor who lives behind me and two other neighbors. I the house at the public road. There is a "farm lane" that crosses my property. While there is no formal ROW I cannot stop anyone from using this as a means of ingress and egress. The neighbor at the very back, blocks this lane while getting their mail. We told them about it and they had their attorney deliver us a letter of non-trespass. We immediately had our attorney answer back with the same. We had our attorney send them a letter about blocking the lane. Today, they blocked it while getting their mail. I took their picture. They called the police. The officer said that they videoed me taking their picture. My question is, is it illegal for them to be parked in my property as they have a letter of non trespassed and video tape me? This was done with a mobile phone so I assume there is audio as well. I would like to ask the police to press charges, harassment and criminal trespass. I live in Pennsylvania.Answer was this:Under Pennsylvania law, it is not legal for them to block you, especially once they have received your letter. Moreover, it is an invasion of your right to privacy for them to video you in that manner, and that is a tort claims that you can bring against them in the Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas. Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. good luck to you. I wish you all the best
I tried to get a follow up answer to this... Can I expect my local Police Department to file a criminal trespass charge, if I request it?
answer was this:Yes, the police will write the report and then it gets turned over to the District Attorney who is the one who will file the charges. Now, Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. good luck to you. I wish you all the bestSo I called the Police and asked about the video that she took. Turns out she has a dash cam, (for security) which the cop claims is totally legal, even if she is "parked" on my property to get her mail, after she has been legally told 3 times not to block it. My attorney says the case would be hard to prove in court, because she has a right of ingress and egress. Tols me that I would be banging my head in effect.
So, time to get a new attorney? Is there any other recourse that I might have? Ask the Post Office to move the box which is 100% on my property?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 7 months ago.
Yes, first I suggest getting the mailbox moved. Notify the post office that it does not have the right to deliver mail to your neighbor on your property. Moreover, I would suggest a lawyer in Pennsylvania locally to send the infringing neighbors a letter to "cease and desist." Usually a simple letter letting them know that their conduct is under the microscope and you will act to enforce your rights will be enough to get them to stop the objectionable behavior. Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.
Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.