Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years

My wife and I just got married and she previously owns a home.

Customer Question

My wife and I just got married and she previously owns a home. Can I sign a lease and pay her rent.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Can I sign a lease and pay her rent..Yes. this would be considered her separate property and would remain so as long as she didn't add you to the deed. So there is nothing that would prevent you from entering into a landlord tenant relationship with her if you wish..But if you were living in the dwelling with her as the marital residence, she couldn't evict you or force you to pay rent as long as you were married....thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you so much for your answer. I have just one additional question. Would my rent be considered additional income for her?
You are very welcome..Yes, if you are paying her to live there, that would be rental income to her and she would technically have to report it and pay taxes on it....thanksBarrister