RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I heard the law in Florida had been updated to allow first

Customer Question

I heard the law in Florida had been updated to allow first time home buyer to get out of a lease early - is that true? For example, I have 6 months left on a very expensive lease while I can buy a house for 1/2 per month now.
Please advise
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 8 months ago.
Good evening. Can you share with me where you read or heard this?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Word of Mouth, when talking to other renters that were moving out of the community. I do not have and actual document to support it, but heard it was a recent years change
Thank you for the reply. I have never heard of such a law, I am sorry to say. This would be something that would only hurt the landlord, since they would be without a tenant, who signed a lease agreement, for a set term. I understand why a first time home buyer would want to vacate and break the lease but at this time, they could not simply terminate the lease upon the purchase of the home. If they have a lease, they can certainly negotiate with the landlord to terminate it early but can not simply buy a home and expected to be released, without penalty. With that being said, you should speak with those renters and ask for documentation and proof, to show and support that a first time home buyer can just break a lease if they buy a home.