socallegalwork
socallegalwork, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney and licensed real estate broker (and Certified Distressed Property Expert), specializing in real estate matters.
63833317

My client's property was reassessed by the Los Angeles County

Customer Question

My client's property was reassessed by the Los Angeles County Tax Assessor upon the transfer of her adopting mother/aunt to her.
We believe it was wrongfully reassessed because my client was unofficially adopted by her aunt, upon the death of her natural mother, when she was 14 years old. It was an unofficial adoption so all we have is school records dating to 1950's showing her aunt signing as legal guardian for her niece.
We filed for the parent/child exclusion timely, but the Assessor stated that only official adoption records are admissible.
Any chance of arguing this matter?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socallegalwork replied 7 months ago.
Hello. I believe I can answer your question. The exclusion applies to transfers involving children LEGALLY adopted before the age of 18.That having been said, you can appeal a rejection with the Assessment Appeals Board. I believe you have 6 months to appeal a decision, though you will need to confirm this with the LA Assessor. Good luck!