Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor

I purchased an RV pull type camper and signed finance papers

Customer Question

I purchased an RV pull type camper and signed finance papers on march 31, 2016. The dealer had to prep the camper and it was not picked up until April 13, 2016. I used the camper for the first night on the 8 th and woke up to a pool of water under the rv on the morning of the 9 th. All of the insulation must be removed as well as the whole underbody to repair the water line leak. Do i have the right to demand a new RV ???
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Louisiana's Lemon Law only applies to the drive train and the chassis of motor homes, and it sounds like that's not the issue you're having here. The Lemon Law also requires that a vehicle has multiple issues before a person could get a new vehicle, so it unfortunately would not apply to this situation. Look at the paperwork that came with the vehicle to see if it's covered by the manufacturer's original warranty. Look to see if water leaks and similar issues are covered. If they are, the manufacturer will have to repair the water line, and pay to repair any other damage caused by the leak.

The dealer unfortunately does not have to give a new vehicle unless he specifically promised that the water line was sound, or your mechanic discovers some evidence that he fraudulently covered it up (like if he put tape over it so you wouldn't see the leak). That's pretty uncommon. But start with your warranty paperwork - that should tell you exactly what you're entitled to, because that's the agreement you made when you bought the vehicle.

It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.