Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years

What is the process to transfer ownership of deeded property

Customer Question

What is the process to transfer ownership of deeded property located in Texas when owner lives in Virginia? In fact, both parties who will be involved in this transfer live in Virginia.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..The owner in VA needs to have a local TX attorney prepare a deed for the property located in TX. Then the attorney can mail or email the deed to the VA owner and they can then have the deed executed there in VA with the other party by signing it and having it notarized in VA. It doesn't matter where a deed is signed and executed as long as it was properly prepared by an attorney licensed in the state where the property is physically located..Once signed and notarized, the new owner can mail in the deed to the local land records office in TX in the county where the property is located so it can be recorded to finalize the transfer. They should call the land records office to find out what any recording fees are so they can include a check for the correct amount to have it recorded...thanksBarrister