Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I paid 2600 rent and deposit on a house i never saw. We were

Customer Question

I paid 2600 rent and deposit on a house i never saw. We were relocating from Colorado to Tennessee. Once we saw the house it wasn't anything like the pictures. It was disgusting. We told LL we didn't want the home and now she refuses to give our money back. No lease or contract was signed
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
Were the premises not habitable? Did the landlord misrepresent the premises? Do you have the pictures? Have you taken pictures of the premises as they actually look?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We were unable to get pictures. I was told my concerns were bogus and when i aksed to go back to take pictures she said she will call the cops if we enter the premises although ive paid april rent and have the key...i offered to pay for april even though we wont move there..we just want deposit back and she refuses. Just says she needs more time
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information. If the landlord misrepresented the condition of the premises or the premises are not habitable in their current condition, you have the right to get your deposit back. You may also be entitled to other damages.If the landlord refuses to give back your money you can sue. If the claim does not exceed $25000 you can sue in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be "user friendly" so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
Are you still online with me?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?