Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.

To Loren who is on line now. In September 2012 I contacted

Customer Question

to Loren who is on line now. In September 2012 I contacted you about property I owned in OKC. It was as " joint tenants and not as tenants in common". The other tenant died 9-18-12. Prior to his death (I think) he attempted to deed my share to his wife - he was not married at the time of our original transaction. I have been in contact with both of them trying to settle this. There is not question that I am asserting my ownership. What do I do now
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
If he successfully conveyed his interest to his wife before he died then the joint tenancy would have been severed making both of you tenant in common with the wife. You need to check the chain of title to determine if the deed was ever delivered before he died. If not, then you own the property as the surviving joint tenant.