Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience:  Knowledgable and Experienced Attorney

I signed an apartment rental lease to start May 1 in Sherman

Customer Question

I signed an apartment rental lease to start May 1 in Sherman Oaks and paid security deposit and pet deposit but not rent payment. I have since had cold feet about moving out of my retirement community in Santa Barbara to the Sherman Oaks apartment. What is my legal obligation?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 6 months ago.
This is a good question, and I'm glad you asked. The answer will be found in your lease agreement, itself. Chances are you would just forfeit a portion of the deposit, and not be on the hook for the remainder, but it is possible your documents specify otherwise, so take a look. Worst case scenario, you would be on the hook for the rent until the owner or management company rented the unit to someone else, and the management company would be legally obligated to use its best efforts to rent the place as quickly as possible. Since you haven't moved in and it still early April, I doubt this would even come into play. Even if your lease is the oddball that holds you liable until the unit is rented to someone else, it's still early April. So, if you are sure you don't want to move in, it's important to let the management company know as soon as possible. If you check the rental agreement, but are still unsure about the cancellation provision, feel free to post it here and I'll be happy to take a look for you. You can post documents by using the paperclip icon above your typing box. I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know. If I have addressed your issue and/or pointed you in a positive direction, please let me know that, as well. Also, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the help we provide​. Good luck! Best,Attorney 1
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 5 months ago.
Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you. I'm here to help. Best,Attorney 1