Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Does my wife have to be on the deed of our house if we applied

Customer Question

does my wife have to be on the deed of our house if we applied both for the homestead exemption "doubling"
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..No, the homestead exemption is for your homestead, which is where you live and have an ownership interest in. Your wife, even if not on the deed, has a marital ownership interest in the house because if you passed without a will, she would inherit some portion of it due to the marriage..So as long as that is her homestead, as evidenced by her driver's license, where she gets her mail, and where she resides, then you would be eligible to double the exemption if you are married. .thanksBarrister