WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

I'm actually being evicted. I fell behind on a months rent

Customer Question

I'm actually being evicted. I fell behind on a months rent back in April of 2015. This year, my job has been very slow. I'm a waitress so I don't receive a week to week pay check. I then fell behind and didn't pay a half month of February, the month of March, or April now, because when we went to court on April 4th the judge issued a warrant for removal. I am a single mom, and don't receive child support. My mom passed away suddenly which put me in this mess, because her house was in foreclosure, and I never knew when they were going to lock me out. I'm in over my head with these rent payments, and I don't know what I'm going to do. I went to the board of social services and they told me that if he doesn't agree to me staying that they won't pay the back rent. I have no place to go and I don't know what to do
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Real Estate Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: no, thank you
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm in the state of NJ, Ocean County specifically. Also, I had heard that you can get a 6 month extension if you have children in the house. But, than I heard that you would have to come up with the back rent, and continue paying every month until the 6 months is up. I would however, be able to come up with this months rent, and than the following 6 months. My job picks up in the warmer months, so it wouldn't be a problem in the future. I have not yet received the notice for removal yet, but when I do, how long do I have? Can I file for extensions. Again, like I mentioned, I'm a single mom, I don't have any money, and no family, so I have no idea what I'm going to do. What are my rights?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also, we never signed a new lease for this year, so we are just month-to-month. Does that make a difference? Also, back in 2015 the reason I fell behind, was due to an emergency surgery that came on suddenly. I went to the hospital one day, and was out of work for 3 weeks, I can prove that one month that a hardship had occurred. I only received 200 dollars for one weeks time. Also, because I'm a waitress, I don't show all of my money on the books, so that was why I received so little
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 9 months ago.
I'm so sorry for your troubles. Since you live in Ocean County, under your circumstances you qualify for and can recieve tenant financial assitance from the county. They will also help you to stop the eviction procedure. Here is the information. Click on this link. http://www.planning.co.ocean.nj.us/CDBG/home-tbra.htm Tenant-Based Rental AssistanceTenant-based rental assistance (TBRA) is a rental subsidy to help individual households afford housing costs, such as: rent, utility costs, and security and utility deposits.Administering AgencyOcean County Board of Social ServicesOne-Stop CenterBuilding #41027 Hooper AvenueToms River, N.J. 08754***-***-****www.oceancountygov.com/onestop Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.
Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.