Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate

My neighbor's tree fell down because of the high winds we had

Customer Question

My neighbor's tree fell down because of the high winds we had last week.
About 20 feet of the tree is on their property, and about 35 feet is on my
my side of the property line. Are my neighbors legally required to remove
the portion which is on my property?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you . Here is the law. Pennsylvania law states, "The general thinking, is that a property owner is not liable for anything outside their property line". The neighbor whose property was damaged, by a tree has the right to remove that tree, but if they want to pursue the matter for litigation they will probably not see success. If you and your neighbor would agree to share costs on the clean up, it will probably be the best option for everyone. Here property is different if it is harmed.Pennsylvania law states that if a neighbor’s tree falls on your property and causes damages to any structures, you are covered against those damages. The damaged homeowner’s insurance will cover their loss, if it is an act of God. The neighbor legally is not liable for removal of tree on your property unless they voluntarily agree to do so. They are liable for any damages to personal property on your side like cars, your home, etc. Reference to the law. I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.