Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Real Estate Law Mentor

I have questions about unethical leasing practices

Customer Question

I have questions about unethical leasing practices and unfair eviction processes. My son signed a lease at 18 yrs old that was way out of his budget. I, his mother, was asked to co sign by the leasing agent and I explained I would not and explained that he could not afford the rent amount. I further explained that he was just out of the house and in college and had no experience with such matters and could not fully grasp what he could afford. To make a long story short, he was hit with late fees every single month and finally given an eviction notice. He tried to pay the amount owed and they would accept it without lawyers fees attached. It feels as if they are predators on young, inexperienced students. Please advise.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.Unfortunately, someone at the age of 18 is an adult (unless the 18 year old is deemed mentally incompetent by the court) and lack of experience or understanding of the financial responsibility would not be valid legal basis to contest validity of the lease or any legal obligations contained in the lease terms.I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.Thank you.