Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years

I started a rent to own program on a house in ocean springs

Customer Question

I started a rent to own program on a house in ocean springs Mississippi in about 2007 and I paid 1800 a month for 7 years. the seller took me to her real estate attorney's office and we signed a quick claim deed that put the house in my name. I thought that this lady was scaming me so I went to buy a house else where. today I found out the tax accessor said the property is in my name and all the taxes have been paid. is the house mine legally because I did pay over 150,000 in rent to own money in 7 years. do I have any rights to the house.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..When the quitclaim deed was signed by the seller and recorded, you became the legal owner of the property subject to any outstanding debt that you agreed to pay..So you are the legal owner of the house now. If you still owed the seller any money, then if you last made a payment in 2014, then they would be able to sue you for 3 years after your last payment for breach of contract...thanksBarrister