Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Barrister, the question will not quite fit in here. Are you

Customer Question

Barrister, the question will not quite fit in here. Are you available.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.
Hello again,.I will be on and offline for the next couple hours, so if you want to post your question, I will reply as I see the question....thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

We have a typical homeowner insurance policy which is suppose to cover property damage and liability. Our agent always reminds us to use people who have liability and workers comp to do house hold repairs and such.

Is this really for our protection or is it mainly to shield our insurance company. If we have a liability policy and the injury is OUR FAULT when a worker or a neighbor gets seriously injured during a repair job…our fault…why should we search and search to find a company that has their own general liability plus workers comp.?

Is this really for our protection or is it mainly to shield our insurance company. .A bit of both... The contractors insurance would be primary to kick in and pay for any injuries or damages first before anyone could look to your insurance. But if theirs wasn't enough, then it could spill over into your insurance if you were found to be partially liable for any injury. So the insurer doesn't want to pay if they don't have to so they want licensed and insured contractors doing the work..If we have a liability policy and the injury is OUR FAULT when a worker or a neighbor gets seriously injured during a repair job…our fault…why should we search and search to find a company that has their own general liability plus workers comp.?.Because the worker's comp and other insurance will pay first... Then that insurer would negotiate with your insurer to be reimbursed for anything that they have to pay. You always want to have someone else pay first if you can rather than you being the first one to have to write a check. And if the contractors insurance is able to settle the case for minimal compensation, then your insurance company doesn't have to defend you for tens of thousands in attorney fees and a potentially higher payout at the end...thanksBarrister