Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

I WAS GRANTED PERMISSION TO LIVE ON A PROPERTY 11 YEARS AGO

Customer Question

I WAS GRANTED PERMISSION TO LIVE ON A PROPERTY 11 YEARS AGO BY SOMEONE WHO IS NOW DECEASED AND HER BROTHERS ARE NOE FORCING ME TO LEAVE DO I HAVE ANY RIGHTS. THERE IS NO HOME ON PROPERTY ITS TOTALLY VACANT AND I LIVE IN A TENT A GROW FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Real Estate Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: NO
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. There unfortunately is no legal right to remain on someone's property as a guest. If you'd had a written lease, then you'd be allowed to stay until it ended, but a person does not gain rights to real estate merely by being there with the owner's permission. You can force them to give you 30 days notice as if you were a regular tenant, but there is unfortunately no right to remain beyond that. I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively to ensure I am paid for the time I spent answering your question. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.Good luck.