KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience in real estate law: Foreclosures, Landlord-Tenant, Condo/Coop, Property Law, Deeds, Purchases/Sales, Estates.

I have a tenant who has not paid March rent. They recently

Customer Question

I have a tenant who has not paid March rent. They recently sent a check and told me to apply it to April. Am I required to do this or can I apply it to March instead?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I am happy to assist you today. Yes, you can definitely apply whatever payment you receive to any past due amount. It is typical for a landlord to apply the rent, in your case, to the March rent first, then consider April to be due. If you are concerned about this tenant you could begin eviction proceedings if he or she doesn't give you another check by the end of this month. Best of luck,Kim