Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  28 years of experience in general practice, real estate law and estate law.
68197583

I got the answer I needed, but I was told that since that

Customer Question

I got the answer I needed, but I was told that since that structure has been on the other person's property 80 sq. Ft for more than 20 years that it is grandfathered in and the new owner of the property that mine encroaches on wants me to take my bedroom off his land. This has been there with no objections from the old owners.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 8 months ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question, I am going to check your initial question as the 20 years would NOT create anything to be grandfathered in but rather it could create a claim of title ownership under the legal doctrine of adverse possession. It is very unlikely that a court would ever order you to remove your bedroom as this is an equitable matter and that is not the way courts of equity work. There is a great deal of case law to back this up, Give me a moment to see if I can pull up your prior question.
I reviewed your prior question and this is an adverse possession matter. You would have a right to claim title to the property under this doctrine. If you pursue your rights under this doctrine your neighbor will lose title to that portion of his land and there is no way you would be required to tear down your bedroom. Where in Texas are you located so I can provide a link for local Attorneys that provide free consultations that can assist you. You can come back to this question at any time with any follow up questions that you may have for me regarding this matter.If you would be kind enough to rate my service you can come back to this question at any time to follow up with me.Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I live near llano, Texas which is 100 miles from Austin
I want to find someone local for you. Let me see what can find.
This is a link for real estate attorneys in the area that provide free consultations. http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/real-estate-law/llano/texas Based on the information you provided I do not see that you will need to remove anything. Thank you for using JA! If you would be kind enough to rate my service so I will receive credit for my work I would really appreciate it.
Thank you for using JA! If you would be kind enough to rate my service so I will receive credit for my work I would really appreciate it.
Please ignore the premium services request. Thank you for using JA! Once you rate my service hopefully you will not receive any further automated requests as I will close the question.
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 7 months ago.
The question will remain open until you rate my service. Please let me know if you have any additional questions for me. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you. Thank you for using JA!
Would you be kind enough to let me know why you have not rated my service? The site keeps your payment under the assumption that you were happy with the site but unhappy with the attorney. Thank you for your consideration.