Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years

Can my apartment complex start charging a monthly pet fee per

Customer Question

Can my apartment complex start charging a monthly pet fee per pet in addition to a non-refundable pet deposit? I have lived here for 29 years and this is just becoming an issue
nhow with my lease reewal. All told, my monthly rent will increase by $115.00 a month.
I am on a fixed income. Please advise.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Can you tell me what city and county you are located in?.And you are coming to the end of a fixed term lease and being offered a renewal lease, correct?.What is your current rent?.thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am in Erie County in New York State. My yearly lease is up for renewal on 7/31
Ok, unfortunately there is no rent control laws in Erie county so that means that once your current fixed term lease expires, the landlord can increase your rent as much as he wants to. It would then be up to you to determine whether to accept the new lease terms or find alternate housing..As for the pet deposit, once a lease expires, any of the terms can be changed or modified in any new lease renewal offer. So yes, they can charge a pet fee and a nonrefundable pet deposit that will cover things like carpet cleaning and other cleaning costs once a tenant moves out..I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy.....thanksBarrister