CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

I own land in PA since 1987 on which I planned to build a retirement

Customer Question

I own land in PA since 1987 on which I planned to build a retirement home. Circumstances changed and I am now in my 80's and cannot sell the property due to the housing problem. Building is at a stand-still. It is a gated community with a homeowner's association. My taxes and homeowner dues are paid up to date. I desperately need to get rid of this property so as not to leave my children with the burden of paying taxes and homeowner fees in the event of my death.
Can you advise me if there is a way to proceed further?
Thank you for any guidance you can provide.
Janet Marhefka
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 8 months ago.

Dear Customer,

While it appears you are having difficulties getting a realtor to take your listing (usually the best way to actually sell the property - this is often remedied by lowering the asking price or addressing any specific defects with the property - but again, in reviewing your question, it does appear that you have done a lot of work on this issue), I do not believe you need to worry about your primary concern.

Your children are not responsible for paying for your property upon your death.

While it is probably worthwhile for you to speak to a trusts and estates attorney to help you manage your assets (and liabilities) in such a way as to maximize your estate following your death, any creditors or liabilities created by your estate are limited to the assets of your estate - your heirs are not responsible for your debts, or the debts of your estate.