Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

My Aunt owns a home in Staunton Va she is now in an nursing

Customer Question

My Aunt owns a home in Staunton Va she is now in an nursing home and will not be getting out. My Aunt has living rights to the the house. I am on the deed to the property as well. The home is in need or repair and also i was wondering, can this house be occupied by family member with knowing the Aunt has living rights. We were told by Social Services that we can't. Can you tell me where I stand on this matter. I will be doing all the upkeep to the property and now SS said that I can do the repairs. The house has been broken into and that's why I want to let a family member live there.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
If I understand correctly, your aunt has a life estate? Who has the remainder interest? Is your aunt legally competent?Is there a medicaid recovery lien on the property?