J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

Can an old renter put a lein on my house

Customer Question

Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.Is this a lien that the tenant allowed to occur with a contractor the tenant hired to make improvements or for maintenance or is the tenant threatening to place a lien on the landlord property based on a lease agreement dispute?This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
The only way a tenant can put a lien on a rental property is if they obtain a judgment against the landlord first. For example they file a suit against the landlord for not returning security deposit and the tenant wins. After the judgment is issued the tenant could obtain a judgment lien against the landlord property. However, the tenant can not foreclose on the lien. The lien is typically satisfied when the property is sold and proceeds payoff the judgment.All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (3 stars or more). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!