Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I've lived in a rental home years now. The landlord

Customer Question

I've lived in a rental home for eight years now. The landlord lives in Ca. And hired a real estate company to handle the property in her absence. The real estate company fired her last month, because she was unreasonable they told me. My fence has been broken and an entire side of it lay on the ground for months, even though I had put in writing it was broken, along with both gates and the rest of the fence. She had not replaced or repaired it. I have dogs and a six year old daughter that go outside to play. One could see into my backyard and my back door from the cross street when the fence fell. I never had any problems with break-ins until after the fence fell. Someone tried breaking in by shattering one side of my sliding back door. Now the landlord is asking me to pay for the replacement door, which is 1060.00! What rights do I have, if any?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question..Did you file a police report for the broken door?.Did the criminal actually gain entry into the home?.Are you asking if you have to pay the $1K for the door?.. thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes, I did file a police report. No, the criminal(s) did not appear to enter because I had three dogs waiting inside, and nothing was taken. Also, the gentleman who came to fix the sliding glass door brought a whole new door! If I had known I had to pay for the door, I would have told him that I would find a replacement door instead of an entire new door! Or, at least gotten several estimates! Please let me know if you need more info. Thanks!
Ok, this is a situation where you were a potential victim of a crime and the landlord was an actual victim of a criminal act. You can't be held liable for the criminal actions of a third party and this is one of those situations where the landlord is going to have to absorb the loss..As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years.....thanksBarrister