Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

It is my understanding that if my mom has to go into a nursing

Customer Question

It is my understanding that if my mom has to go into a nursing home that Medicare will pick up the cost once she has exhausted all of her savings. Is the house still protected if it's in trust or can Medicare go after the house?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..It is actually Medicaid that will pay for any long term care once her assets are spent down to $2,000 excepting the house..If the house is in a revocable trust, then it provides no protection from creditors or Medicaid estate recovery liens..If the house is in an irrevocable trust, then it would have to have been transferred into it at least 5 years prior to any application for benefits because there is a 5 year "lookback period" for any asset transfers that would result in a disqualification for benefits if a transfer was made within the past 5 years...thanksBarrister