Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My brother and I co-own my father's house. at the end of January,

Customer Question

My brother and I co-own my father's house. at the end of January, our tenant moved out. My brother and his wife proceeded to remodel the house with my knowledge but without any of my input.I had just had shoulder replacement surgery and was recovering and in physical therapy. We then met just recently on April 1st and he went through the money spent on the remodel and the loan he had to take out.He then added that he and his wife had spent 400 hours and counting on labor and was adding in $15/hr for their work. We had never discussed this, nor had I agreed to this. Is this legal? He also wants me to pay the rent for al of 2015 because my 34 year old daughter was renting the house with her 2 children but could not pay the rent because she had lost her job. Is this legal? Please get back to me as soon as possible. I would like to clarify this as it is very painful due to the fact that it is family. Thank you! Joan Meade (*****@******.***)
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.
Good afternoon Joan,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you. But for just $5 more, you will have my undivided attention for all questions you have regarding this property.Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.1. Did you agree to pay for a share of the remodeling or for their hourly wages to remodel the property?2. Was your brother aware that your daughter was living free of rent in the home?3. Do you have a written agreement with your brother over the sharing of expenses or the division of rent received on the property?Thanks in advance,Doug