How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend in prison who while in prison had a girlfriend

Customer Question

I have a friend in prison who while in prison had a girlfriend who he claims forged his signature on a bill of sale and had the property put in her name back on 8/12/2009 and only found out recently this had happened because he is coming up for release and his soon to be probation officer went to check what would have been his place of residence upon release and the so called girl friend said she did not want him there and showed a bill of sale that he claims he never signed or gave her any kind of power of attorney what does he need to do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer,I am sorry to learn of this matter. Unfortunately this is a somewhat difficult issue to deal with (particularly given the length of time that has passed).However, your friend can sue his girlfriend for fraud, conversion (the civil equivalent of theft), and a specific cause of action called "Quiet title" (the cause of action used to determine ownership of real property).In particular, quiet title is a very procedurally detailed cause of action and I would recommend that your friend consider retaining counsel (I do not know if this is something that he can realistically do (getting financial help from friends or family, or a loan), but this is highly recommended).

Related Real Estate Law Questions