Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I put a very large down payment on a house and added my daughter

Customer Question

I put a very large down payment on a house and added my daughter and her husband to the title (50%). I was assured that they would pay 1/2 of the expenses. I have put an additional $200,000 into improvements that they wanted done. They have not been able to pay their half of the property taxes which are $16,000 or homeowners ins.$ 6,100. After one year,they have decided that they want to sell the house and take their proceeds from the sale. My question is: can I reimburse myself for the money which I provided for the improvements that have greatly increased the value of the property?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..My question is: can I reimburse myself for the money which I provided for the improvements that have greatly increased the value of the property?.Do you have any documentation about their agreement to repay you for any improvements? (i.e. texts, emails, letter, recordings, etc.).Would they agree to allow you to do so?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand your question......would they allow me to do what exactly ???
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Would they agree to allow you to be reimbursed for the improvements?.The reason I ask is that if they are on the deed as equal owners with you, then they would have to agree on any disbursement of proceeds if the house was sold. Legally as it sits right now, if the house was sold, any mortgage is paid off and the surplus is split evenly between you and them. .So you can't unilaterally decide that you get repaid for any improvements. If you have an agreement with them that you will be repaid, then if they refuse to honor the agreement, you can file suit under a breach of contract claim and put forward any evidence you have of the agreement to the judge that you should be repaid..Without any written proof, it will be your testimony vs. theirs and if they say there was no agreement to reimburse you, then it comes down to who the judge believes more..So the bot***** *****ne is that if they don't object to you being reimbursed when it sells, then it won't be a fight. If they do, then it turns into one....thanksBarrister