Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience:  Knowledgable and Experienced Attorney
16911602

I need to find out how to purchase a home in a way that will

Customer Question

I need to find out how to purchase a home in a way that will keep my personal information off public records to avoid being tracked down by previous abuser.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I've changed my phone, new job, sold our home - but I want to try to increase some safety/stability for myself and my son, and I realize all of these changes won't amount to much if he were to search property taxes...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Real Estate Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist. This is a good question. I'm glad you asked. Homes and homeownership are public records and there would be no way to keep the process completely anonymous unless you did one of two things. First, you could have someone else purchase the home in their name, but that brings with it other complications. You could also pay cash into a trust and have the trust purchase the property because trust records are not public. Just be sure you are not the trustee, because the name of the trustee would be public. You might also establish a trust in an owner carry situation, again naming someone else or choosing a public trustee, naming yourself as beneficiary. Beneficiaries are not public record. The only other option would be purchasing the property in your own name, obtaining a restraining order against the abuser and having good security. I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know. If I have addressed your issue and/or pointed you in a positive direction, please let me know that, as well. Also, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the help we provide​. Good luck! Best,Attorney 1
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you. I'm here to help. Best,Attorney 1