Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience:  Knowledgable and Experienced Attorney
16911602

And nice to chat JA: Thanks. Can you

Customer Question

Hello and nice to chat My name is Patti
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I live in a mobile/manufactured home community called Cypress Cove in Florida and have a question about what is required if I want to help my neighbor sell his home and charge him just 2%.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Real Estate Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 8 months ago.
Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist. This is a good question, and I'm glad you asked. In Florida, only a real estate agent or broker is legally allowed to charge a commission. If you sell the house and the friend pays you 2%, even if you are not a licensed real estate professional you won't get in trouble. The problem arises if you don't get paid. No matter what the two of you sign, the commission is not enforceable in a court of law. That means the neighbor could just decide not to pay you and there would be nothing you can do about it, and if there is a problem with the transaction you could be held personally liable because you wouldn't be protected by insurance. If you are a licensed real estate professional and are wondering about the percentage, it's fine to charge just to percent if that is what you choose. I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know. If I have addressed your issue and/or pointed you in a positive direction, please let me know that, as well. Also, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the help we provide​. Good luck! Best,Attorney 1