RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

A note placed on door with a 20 day notice to move by 4/20/16.

Customer Question

A note placed on door with a 20 day notice to move by 4/20/16. Note stated that the lease was expiring and they chose to not renew. There never was a lease, it was on a month to month basis. My Grandson lived in the apt with his Mom, she went to hawaii and he has lived there for the last 16 months and paid the rent. No other complaint or reason given. Can they do this? The apt is in Des Moines, WA.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 8 months ago.
Good evening. The law does only require a 20 day notice to terminate a month to month lease and I have provided it below for your review. However, if you paid you rent on the 1st of the month, they would need to give you the 20 day notice to vacate 20 days prior to May 1, 2016. They can not take your rent on the 1st and then give you the notice. The notice needs to be given prior to the date which the rent is paid, so you could have defenses to raise against this if it was given on the 1st RCW 59.18.200Tenancy from month to month or for rental period—Termination—Armed Forces exception—Exclusion of children—Conversion to condominium—Notice.(1)(a) When premises are rented for an indefinite time, with monthly or other periodic rent reserved, such tenancy shall be construed to be a tenancy from month to month, or from period to period on which rent is payable, and shall be terminated by written notice of twenty days or more, preceding the end of any of the months or periods of tenancy, given by either party to the other.(b) Any tenant who is a member of the armed forces, including the national guard and armed forces reserves, or that tenant's spouse or dependant, may terminate a rental agreement with less than twenty days' notice if the tenant receives reassignment or deployment orders that do not allow a twenty-day notice.(2)(a) Whenever a landlord plans to change to a policy of excluding children, the landlord shall give a written notice to a tenant at least ninety days before termination of the tenancy to effectuate such change in policy. Such ninety-day notice shall be in lieu of the notice required by subsection (1) of this section. However, if after giving the ninety-day notice the change in policy is delayed, the notice requirements of subsection (1) of this section shall apply unless waived by the tenant.(b) Whenever a landlord plans to change any apartment or apartments to a condominium form of ownership, the landlord shall provide a written notice to a tenant at least one hundred twenty days before termination of the tenancy, in compliance with RCW 64.34.440(1), to effectuate such change. The one hundred twenty-day notice is in lieu of the notice required in subsection (1) of this section. However, if after providing the one hundred twenty-day notice the change to a condominium form of ownership is delayed, the notice requirements in subsection (1) of this section apply unless waived by the tenant.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!