Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I live in mo. i just got a note on my door that i have

Customer Question

Hello, i live in mo. i just got a note on my door that i have to move April 30, 2016. There are other people here about 2 months ago, i been here the longest. I been here since the 28th of Aug. do i have to move????
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Do you have a lease? If so, how long is the lease for? Have you broken any terms of the lease? Are you behind in rent?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no i don't have a lease, 1 year lease, i have not broke any terms of the lease, no i am not behind in rent.
Joe
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
yes i do have a lease, i am sorry
When does you lease expire? Was a reason given for the notice to move? Have you spoken to your landlord?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my lease expires on Aug. 28, 2016, a reason for moving is to many renters at*****, no i have not spoken to my landlord. Joe
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. Unless you broke some of the terms of the lease, I am unclear whether that is the reason for the notice of eviction, you landlord cannot ask you to leave. The landlord must have a legal reason such as past due rent or breaking the lease like I said. If the lease provides that there can only be a certain amount of tenants and you brought in too many roommates then your landlord could have a right to evict. You should read your lease to be sure. If this is not the case, then you should give written notice asking for a reason for the eviction and state that you intend to stay through the period provided for by the written lease. If an unlawful detainer suit is filed by the landlord you should probably retain counsel to defend this suit. This s not permissible and you could have damages if you are wrongly evicted. If you decide to do it on your own, you will have to answer the petition if it is filed and give any defenses you have for the unlawful eviction. The landlord will have to prove that you have broken the lease or are behind on rent. The burden is on the landlord so they will have to prove this and you defend against whatever claims the landlord brings. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello, I don't have a copy of the lease or did not get one after i already signed the lease.No i never brought anyone into the house, nor did i have renters that followed me. The only reason he gives quote according to Ladue ordiance #1175 section XIV there are to many renters at***** This is a 30 Day Notice. You need to be out by April 30. Steve Meinberg. Joe
Then you should have a valid defense as there are not too many renters from what you are telling me. If you have a lease and this problem is no fault of yours, then you cannot be evicted. I would request a copy of the lease from your landlord and also retain an attorney to defend any eviction.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello, he doesn't have a copy of the lease, and i am the the only one that came in on that date. I don't have a copy of the lease, nor did i ever get one. At that time we had a property mgr. Joe
Well the landlord has to provide you with a lease by law. You would not be able to be evicted if the landlord evicts you for something that was not occurring. You need to retain an attorney to enforce your rights and not be evicted. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?
Can I do anything else to help?