P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.
11181181

I was married to my husband years. He passed away 1year and

Customer Question

I was married to my husband for 10 years. He passed away 1year and 4 months ago. He has been living in the house of a woman whom he loved. The women died and left the house to her daughter. I have been living her for 11 year and have been helping pay the mortgage for all of these years. My husband paid the mortgage for years. She just infirmed6 me that she wants to sell the house. What are my rights of any. Thank you.
I
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 months ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. I am here to help
Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.
I am sorry for your loss. But I am not sure I understand the question. You are living in a home owned by your husbands lover? Is that correct?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They were very much in love. They felt like they were married. They were together for 15 years.The daughter loved him dearly and called him dad. He loved them both.
Thank you...but that does not answer the question...who is on the title to this home?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The daughter, her mom left the house to her. We never had any paperwork or rental agreement from her. Would I have Romo e immrdistely7
Thanks...what do you mean byWould I have Romo e imrdistely7I do not understand that...
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do I have any legal rights?
THank you. If you are not on title to the home, unless you have a written agreement from the owner (like, for example, a contract that gives you an ownership interest in the home for the money you paid), you would not have any rights to the home. The reason for this is a law called the statue of frauds that requires all contracts for real property be in writing. Here, if you had an agreement with the owner, for ownership interest in the property, that agree to would need to be in writing.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.