RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I have a question pertaining to carpet at my old rental

Customer Question

Hi, I have a question pertaining to carpet at my old rental which was deemed uncleanable. Speaking to the administrative manager I was informed that the carpet was deemed uncleanable and that I would be responsible with handling the cost of putting in new carpet which exceeds by deposit. What are my options? Thank you
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well the carpet was not new when I moved in and there was no damage to the carpet. It is just dirty.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Real Estate Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 8 months ago.
Normal wear and tear is nothing something you would be liable or responsible for. Plus, unless the carpet was new when you moved in, there was a diminished value to it, so you should not have to pay for brand new carpeting when it was not brand new upon moving in. You would be responsible for cleaning and replacing any damage caused by you but the fact that it may be unclean-able, through no fault of your own does not mean you have to pay for it if they selected carpet which is problematic.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!