CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.

California hoa law Was this budget workshop illegal? I

Customer Question

California hoa law
Was this budget workshop illegal?
I am on hoa board that with consent of Mgr. held a gathering of board members called "budget workshop". No action was taken, we discussed line item by line item the budget proposed by our management company and a few potential future items within our hoa that could impact future income.
Recently I've been told by board member (that was eventual minority opinion on budget passing) that the workshop discussion was illegal.
I'm confused
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 6 months ago.
Dear Customer,These meetings may have been in violation of the California Open Meeting Laws (variations on the "Brown Act"), see: (as more helpfully explained here: board may want to consider giving proper notice prior to future "budget workshops" (or similar such meetings), as well as opening these meetings to the 'public' (meaning members of the association, not the public at large).
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. That answers clearly
You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service so that I can receive credit for assisting you.If you would like to direct future questions to me specifically, you can do so by starting your new question with "For William B. Esq." and a moderator will notify me.Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.Bill